- to assist in the conversion of railroad rights-of-way to recreational trail use;
- to encourage economic development and tourism along rail-trails;
- to protect, promote and improve existing rail-trails in West Virginia; and
- to provide public education and information about rail-trails.
The WV Rails-to-Trails Council is a statewide advocacy and networking organization that helps connect people and communities with resources to plan, acquire, build and maintain rail-trails in West Virginia and promote existing rail-trails to trail users. WVRTC supports local rail-trail initiatives throughout the state. WVRTC also supports linking rail-trails to create long distance trail networks across West Virginia and into our neighboring states.
Our mission is to promote and help create Rail-Trails in West Virginia to provide recreational opportunities and stimulate economic development through Rail-Trail tourism.
The West Virginia Rails-to-Trails Council carries out a program of:
- Public education and information
- Local Rail-Trail project support and state wide advocacy
- Volunteer support to assist Rail-Trail development and maintenance.